The Lens-Based Artist Residency is organised by Wom@rts Network in association with WIFT Nordic Network. The Wom@rts project aims to highlight and support the creativity of women from a cross-sectoral perspective, in this case focusing on the medium of lens-based art forms. The Lens-Based Artist Residency is hosted by Avilés Cultural Factory in Spain in June 2018.
This Lens-Based Artist Residency is part of a series of residencies which are created to produce exhibits for a roaming exhibition that is inspired by the famous book “The Second Sex” by Simone de Beauvoir (Le Deuxième Sexe, 1949). This book is considered to be one of the major work of feminist philosophy and the book celebrates its 70th Anniversary in 2019.
The residency will be held in Avilés, Spain from 4 to 8 June 2018. The residency will provide the selected artists a platform for exchange of experience and techniques together with international networking. The selection of the residency artists will be made no later than the end of April 2018. The lens-based residence artists are expected to work on their exhibition piece already before and also after the residency so that it will be finished by the end of 2018.
If you are selected, your travel, accommodation and daily allowance will be provided by the Wom@rts project together with an artist fee of 1 500 EURO. Each artist will hold the copyright of their work but renders all the rights to use their exhibition piece for all the purposes of the roaming exhibition during 2018-2021. Also, all Wom@rts partners can reproduce copies of the exhibition piece for archival purposes of the roaming exhibition after the project end.
Emerging and mid-career professional artists are invited to apply. To be eligible for the residency, you would need to
- be a permanent resident of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Greenland and the Faroe Islands) or the Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
- be able to communicate in English
- already have had either 2 group exhibitions or 1 solo or international exhibition in the lens-based arts field (e.g. photography, media art, experimental film, new media)
- have had prior works on the themes of feminism and feministic philosophy, theory and practice, female rights and/or gender and diversity
The artist’s exhibition piece will be a part of a roaming exhibition celebrating the “Second Sex” by Simone de Beauvoir.
Preliminary schedule of the roaming exhibition (for information only)
March-April 2019: Opening World Premiere in Maribor, Slovenia.
May-June 2019: Opening in Limerick, Ireland.
July-August 2019: Opening in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Sept-October 2019: Opening in Avilés, Spain
November-December 2019: Opening in Santiago de Compostela (in parallel to CinEuropa Festival, Spain).
January-February 2020: Opening in Angoulême, France.
March-April 2020: Opening in Rijeka, Croatia (European Capital for Culture).
To apply to the residency, fill in this form the latest on Friday 23 February 2018 at 15 Finnish time. All requested attachments should be in English and combined together as one (1) pdf file only.
Required attachments are:
- a visual portfolio with links to your works in the previous exhibitions (max. 2 pages)
- a motivation letter in which you describe why you and your planned exhibit should be selected to the residency and the roaming exhibition (max. 1 page)
– Artist CV
Wom@rts and WIFT Nordic project and their activities are proudly supported
and co-funded by large-scale cultural project funding of the European Union until 2021